Immersive rides and attractions based on films like Ghostbusters, Jumanji, Men in Black, Hotel Transylvania, and more are coming soon to the first-ever Columbia Pictures amusement park in Thailand.
The new Columbia Pictures’ Aquaverse theme park and water park, expected to open in October 2021, will bring characters from popular Hollywood films to life.
Sony Pictures Entertainment and Amazon Falls announced that they closed a deal to develop a 14-acre prime location in the seaside town of Bangsaray, about a 20-minute drive from Pattaya City and about 90 minutes from Bangkok, for the first Columbia Pictures-branded theme park and water park.
The park will feature characters from the studio’s film slate along with “state-of-the-art rides and newly themed attractions.”
The Aquaverse theme park will consist of eight themed and “immersive zones” with both water and land-based attractions, as well as a program of “live shows, immersive entertainment, interactive props, unique sets, themed restaurants, as well as specialty merchandise and retail locations,” according to their news release.
Here are a few of the themed areas and rides visitors can look forward to:
- Men in Black Thrill Rides – Aquaverse's most thrilling rides and attractions can be found here, including hair-raising water coaster rides, one of which has a 12-meter free-fall ride that sends you careening down a MIB Wormhole.
- Ghostbusters Supernatural Experience – Step into the Ghostbusters portal and zip across ghost traps as you glide down a water coaster with your best friend or dare to enter the world’s first and only fully-enclosed water dome in a family raft ride
- Bad Boys Raceway – Experience the thrill of the chase and put the pedal to the metal around our new outdoor go-kart tracks in a neon Miami themed racecourse.
- Jumanji Jungle Adventure – Brave the world of Jumanji through wild jungle themed water slides, visiting Jaguar Mountain while being chased by Mandrills before plunging into Jumanji’s splash pool!
- Hotel Transylvania Kid-Friendly Zone – Aquaverse's biggest water park attraction featuring over 100 water features, splash buckets, water rockets and more!
- Surf’s Up in Surfer’s Paradise – Surf a mighty wave and show us what you’ve got on the exhilarating water park attraction with our dual Flowrider!
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Swallow Falls River Adventure – Take a break from the day's thrills by touring the Aquaverse along the lazy river and meet the amazing Foodimals featured in the hit film.
- VIVO Wave Pool – Relax in a giant wave pool inspired by the upcoming animated musical. The wave pool zone is the ideal venue when hosting music events and live shows, where celebrity artists and world-class international DJs will take to the stage.
The upcoming debut of the theme park coincides with the release of the Columbia Pictures' latest Ghostbusters movie, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, this Fall 2021.
According to Jeffrey Godsick, EVP of Global Partnerships and Brand Management and head of Location Based Entertainment at Sony Pictures Entertainment, the theme park is part of the Sony Pictures’ global strategy to expand location-based entertainment by utilizing its strong global film and TV brands.
“We are creating opportunities for all audiences around the world to immerse themselves deeper into our stories through water parks, touring exhibitions, and theme park attractions,” said Godsick in a statement.
Columbia Pictures’ Aquaverse is expected to open with a phased rollout in October 2021 and a soft opening scheduled for 2022.
(Images via Sony/Columbia Pictures)