The Department of Health stressed that lockdown is not the only answer to the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines, stressing the need for the public to continually observe the minimum health protocols and for local governments to strengthen their prevention strategies during the two-week enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Metro Manila.
“Ang pinakaimportante, kaya natin ginagawa ang lockdown, for us to buy time para mas maiprepare natin ang health system, makapagexpand pa tayo, mas macapacitate natin ang local governments natin to do their PDITR (Prevent-Detect-Isolate-Treat-Reintegrate) response and also for us to restrict mobility, para hindi masyadong maraming interaction, kumonti ang mga taong nagkakasakit,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a press briefing, early today, Aug. 11.
“Pero hindi naman din puwedeng lockdown tayo forever dahil hirap na hirap na ang ekonomiya, marami na ring nagugutom,” Vergeire added.
The health agency recorded 12,021 new cases today, Aug. 12, with 9,591 new recoveries and 154 new deaths. It’s the country’s highest single-day tally since April 10, which brings the total number of confirmed infections to 1,688,040—81,339 of which are active.
Vergeire urged local governments to reinforce their prevention and containment strategies during the two-week ECQ, which is slated to end on Aug. 20.
“We are asking local governments, pagigtingin po natin yung ating PDITR. Let’s do active case finding, let’s test all of those we identify as symptomatic or those close contacts, let’s isolate them immediately within 24 hours para maputol ang transmission sa komunidad,” she said.
Vergeire previously hinted at the possibility of an ECQ extension if cases continue to rise in NCR.
Article thumbnails by Miguel De Guzman via Philippine STAR