For the second consecutive year, the annual Traslacion or the Feast of the Black Nazarene will be suspended due to the increase in the number of COVID-19 cases.
In a Jan. 5 press conference, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said that only online masses will be made available in line with the religious festival held Jan. 7-9.
The National Task Force Against COVID-19 on Jan. 4 has also announced that Traslacion 2022 will be suspended amid the surge in COVID-19 infections.
“Ako po’y nagpapasalamat sa ating Monsignor Coronel ng Quiapo sa pagtugon nila sa pakiusap ng pamahalaang lungsod na wala muna tayong Traslacion ngayong taon na ito, at wala rin tayong physical mass, online mass lang tayo,” Moreno said.
Moreno appealed to the devotees and other Black Nazarene organizations, particularly the Hijos Del Nazareno, to refrain from gathering at the church to bring the replica of the Black Nazarene. Last year, thousands of devotees still gathered at the church despite the pandemic.
“Nakikisuyo ako, wag po ninyong dadalhin, mahigpit pong ipatutupad ang mga pag-iingat,” said Domagoso.
Moreno said a liquor ban will also be implemented from 6:00 PM of January 8 to 6:00 AM of January 10.
On Jan. 4, 990 new COVID-19 cases were recorded in the City of Manila. The Department of Health on Jan.4 also reported 5,434 new COVID-19 cases, its highest single-day case record in two months.