Out of the top 687 universities in Asia, the University of the Philippines ranked 77th according to the recently released Quacquarelli Symonds’ Asia University Rankings 2022, making UP the only university in the country to make it to the list’s Top 100.
Joining UP in the latest list are 14 Philippine universities including the Ateneo de Manila University, which placed 11 notches higher than last year at 124; De La Salle University at 160, six spots higher from last year; and the University of Santo Tomas, which also garnered a rank nine spots higher from the list’s 2021 edition at 177.
QS Quacquarelli Symonds is a London-based global higher education think-tank and compilers of the world’s most consulted university ranking portfolio. While its QS Asia University Rankings highlights the top universities in Asia each year.
According to QS, the methodology used to create the ranking is similar to what was used for the QS World University Rankings, but with some additional indicators and adapted weightings.
Among the 11 key indicators used to compile the QS Asia University Ranking include Academic Reputation (30%), Employer Reputation (20%), Faculty-Student Ratio (10%), International research network (10%), and Staff with a PhD (5%).
According to QS, its 2022 ranking of the top Asian universities is its biggest yet. And just like last year’s ranking, Mainland China has the most universities in the list—126 out of 687 schools featured, five of which are in the Top 10.
India has 117 universities in the 2022 ranking, while Japan has 108 universities included.
Other Philippine universities that are included on the list are:
- Ateneo de Davao University (501-550)
- Mapua University (501-550)
- Silliman University (501-550)
- Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology (551-660)
- Central Luzon State University (601-650)
- Xavier University (601-650)
- Adamson University (651+)
- The Cebu Technological University (651+)
- Central Mindanao University (651+)
- Central Philippine University (651+)
- Lyceum of the Philippines University (651+)
For the fourth year in a row, the National University of Singapore is named Asia’s best university.
The Top 10 universities in Asia according to QS are the following:
- National University of Singapore
- Peking University, China
- The University of Hong Kong
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Tsinghua University, China
- Zhejiang University, China
- Fudan University, China
- Universiti Malaya, Malaysia
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China