'NOT TRUE': ABS-CBN denies news that Ang Probinsyano will end soon
ABS-CBN has denied reports that its long-running action teleserye Ang Probinsyano headlined by actor Coco Martin will end soon.
“It’s not true,” said Kane Errol Choa, head of ABS-CBN Corporate Communications.
Choa said ABS-CBN will issue a statement soon regarding the matter.
Meanwhile, the Philippine Star’s Ricky Lo, quoting a production source, said that the series “has been extended until July this year, just two months short of its 6th anniversary.”
View this post on Instagram
The action drama series is now in its fifth year, after airing its first episode on Sept. 28, 2015, based on a 1997 film of the same name starring Fernando Poe Jr.
It stars Martin as the policeman Cardo Dalisay, who seeks justice for the death of his twin brother, who is also a policeman.
The show has grown in popularity since 2015, with the Cardo Dalisay persona embodying a seemingly incorruptible superhero symbol in popular culture.
In 2018, the Department of Interior and Local Government and the Philippine National Police even complained publicly over the portrayal of policemen in the series. During that time, Dalisay was fighting corrupt government officials in the series, which included crooked police officials.
Aside from Martin, the show’s star-studded roster features Angel Aquino, John Arcilla, Rowell Santiago, Bianca Manalo, Jaime Fabregas, Michael de Mesa, Joel Torre, and Lorna Tolentino.
Previously, the show also had Yassi Pressman, Edu Manzano, Maja Salvador, Bela Padilla, Alice Dixson, Dawn Zulueta as well as Lito Lapid and even the late Eddie Garcia.
The show has been around for so long that its unmatched staying power and ever-evolving plot has at times been the butt of jokes, with some people occasionally trying to divine when it will all wrap up.
After ABS-CBN’s franchise was not renewed last year, the network has been airing new episodes on the Kapamilya Channel, iWantTFC and YouTube.