DepEd suspends classes in Metro Manila from Jan. 15 to 22 due to COVID-19 surge
The Department of Education (DepEd) has suspended classes at all levels in Metro Manila from Jan. 15 to 22 due to the toll of the unfolding COVID-19 surge.
In a regional memorandum signed by DepED-NCR regional director Wilfredo Cabral, DepEd said the suspension is meant “to ease the health burden caused by the surge of COVID-19 cases to the physical and mental well-being of the school personnel and learners.”
DepEd said classes shall resume on Jan. 24 to 29 on purely asynchronous distance learning modalities, ruling out the resumption of limited face-to-face classes in the meantime.
JUST IN | The Dept. of Education suspends classes in all levels in the national capital region from Jan. 15 to 22 "to ease the health burden caused by the surge of COVID-19 cases to the physical and mental well-being of the school personnel and learners." #WalangPasok pic.twitter.com/5ifxRZPvYx— ONE News PH (@onenewsph) January 14, 2022
During the suspension period, DepEd said that physical reporting of teachers will not be required by the school heads.
“It is highly encouraged that the teachers and learners to just stay at home to avoid the contamination of the virus,” DepEd said.
DepEd previously announced on Jan. 13 that schools may announce class suspensions at their discretion in light of the growing number of people sick with COVID-19.
Earlier, a number of schools in Metro Manila have already announced an academic break due to the increasing toll of the ongoing surge.
The number of active COVID-19 cases in the country is now at a record high of 237,387 following days of record-breaking tallies to the daily caseload.
The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases has placed Metro Manila and a number of areas in the country on Alert Level 3 until the end of January.