Eumir Marcial to receive at least P7 million for his Olympic bronze
Eumir Marcial will receive at least P7 million after winning the bronze medal for the boxing middleweight category of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Here are the incentives that Marcial will receive so far:
- P2 million under “The National Athletes and Coaches Benefits Act” or Republic Act No. 10699,
- P2 million from the Manny V. Pangilinan Sports Foundation,
- P2 million from Ramon S. Ang’s San Miguel Corp Foundation,
- P1 million from House of Representatives deputy speaker Rep. Mikee Romero, and
- P1 million from Phoenix Petroleum through the Siklab Atleta Pilipinas Foundation.
Philippine Airlines also pledged 40,000 Mabuhay miles per year for life, while AirAsia will give free flights for 2 years.
Marcial’s Olympic campaign ended after he lost to Ukrainian slugger Oleksandr Khyzhniak in the semifinals match on Thursday. August 5 at the Kokugikan Arena in Tokyo.
The Philippines now has four assured Olympic medals, following weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz's gold, boxer Nesthy Petecio’s silver, and an assured silver from Carlos Paalam.
Marcial is now the fourth Filipino boxer to win an Olympic bronze medal after Jose Luis Villanueva in 1932, Leopoldo Serantes in 1988, and Roel Velasco in 1992.