The many times Harry Roque became the subject of memes
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque has indeed become the fave subject of online memes.
New ones have turned viral following his Instagram post that showed him seemingly enjoying himself in the newly reopened Boracay. "(A)ng aking masayang lugar mula noon, hanggang ngayon," he captioned.
Roque's “happy place,” as he called it, welcomed tourists back in October 1 in an attempt to jumpstart domestic tourism. He has helped announced the reopening of the destination, with a requirement for tourists to submit a negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours before scheduled departure and follow health and safety measures (such as wearing a mask and practicing social distancing).
Akala nyo di ko nakikita. Tawa lang kayo. #kalmaAkoLangTo Ctto ?Posted by Harry Roque on Tuesday, October 6, 2020
The wittiest of Filipino netizens, as they've done many times earlier as a form of political satire, played around with his new photo. The results of their insta-Photoshop? With the volume of shares and many "laugh" reactions, one can say rib-tickling: Roque playing defense on LeBron James, Roque "assembling" with the Avengers, Roque blocking in a patintero game, Roque on top of a cheerleading pyramid.
Roque himself posted a compilation of these hilarious memes on his Facebook account, seemingly "entertained" himself. "Akala nyo di ko nakikita. Tawa lang kayo. #kalmaAkoLangTo," he wrote.
View this post on Instagram
ang aking masayang lugar mula noon, hanggang ngayon
A post shared by Harry Roque (@harryroque) on
Yet, this isn't the first time the Malacañang official has become the talk of the town for his controversial statements and remarks — deemed insensitive by some sectors of society. Here's a recap of those that have triggered the public — so far.
1. When he congratulated the Department of Education and the entire Philippines on the “successful” opening of classes despite the challenges brought about by the current pandemic...
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque congratulates the Department of Education and the entire Philippines for conducting the first day of class for the School Year 2020-21 on Monday amid ongoing pandemic.Posted by Philippine Star on Monday, October 5, 2020
2. When he came to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ defense regarding the budget used for the Manila Bay makeover amid COVID-19...
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque defended on Monday the budget allotted to rehabilitate Manila Bay after Vice...Posted by Philippine Star on Monday, September 7, 2020
3. When he took issue with Vice President Leni Robredo’s comment that winning the battle against COVID-19 goes beyond simply waiting for a coronavirus vaccine…
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque challenged VP Leni Robredo to propose a solution to the COVID-19 pandemic that...Posted by Philippine Star on Tuesday, September 22, 2020
4. When he said he had no problem with President Rodrigo Duterte’s move to grant “absolute pardon” to US Marine Lance Corporal Joseph Pemberton, who killed Filipino transwoman Jennifer Laude in 2014. Roque, a former human rights lawyer, used to defend the latter as counsel.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, who served as counsel for the Laude family, said that he does not see any problem...Posted by Philippine Star on Wednesday, September 9, 2020
5. When he stressed he ‘seriously disagrees’ with Robredo, who earlier slammed the Duterte government for blaming Filipinos for the country's rising number of coronavirus cases. This, despite a YouGov survey released last July that showed 91% of Filipinos had made it a point to wear a mask when stepping outside.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque “seriously disagrees” with the statement of Vice President Leni Robredo and denied...Posted by Philippine Star on Thursday, August 27, 2020
Banner image taken from Harry Roque's Instagram account